Lighthouses of New Castle Photo Collection Slideshow
Fort Point Lighthouse, also known as Portsmouth Harbor Light or New Castle Light, is the only lighthouse in New Castle. An icon of the seacoast, it has been the subject of many painting and postcards. Originally built in 1771 as a wooden lighthouse, it was replaced in 1804 by a octagonal wooden structure and placed approximately 100 yards east of the original lighthouse. The present cast iron lighthouse was built in 1878 on the same foundation; it was once painted reddish brown until 1902 when it was changed to white. Joshua Card was the longest serving lighthouse keeper who retired in 1904 at age 87 after serving 35 years.
Although in Kittery, Maine, Whaleback Light, build in 1829, is well loved by New Castle residents; it is very visible from the island and residents love to hear its fog horn.
White Island Lighthouse, originally built in 1820 but the one we see now was built in 1859 is on the Isles of Shoals, is in the town of Rye and on clear days can be seen from New Castle.