Wentworth by the Sea Photo Collection Slideshow
The Wentworth-By-The-Sea has been a landmark in New Castle since it was built by the Campbell family in 1874. Local beer tycoon Frank Jones bought the hotel in 1879 and owned it until his death in 1902. The hotel housed the delegates to the signing of the Treaty of Portsmouth in 1905 that ended the Russo-Japanese War. It was owned for many years by the Margaret and James Barker Smith, until it closed in 1982. It was vacant and deteriorating for years until it was saved from the wrecking ball by the efforts of the Friends of the Wentworth. After extensive renovations, it reopened as a Marriott Resort in 2003.